Emotional self-care is one of the most important facets of your self-care practice.
When we think about self-care practices, it is important to realize this word implies more than just manicures and massages. Self-care is not just a privilege reserved for the rich and famous, it’s a vital part of our being that allows us to become our most happy and grounded selves.
What is emotional self-care?
Definition of emotional self-care:
- The provision of what is necessary for identifying and nurturing your feelings, your conscious inner state, and your intellect. (Desert Alchemy)
In simpler terms, emotional self-care is caring for your emotional needs by identifying what it is you’re feeling and then moving forward in a way that honors yourself and those emotions. When our emotional self-care needs are not being addressed, we tend to feel frustrated and burnt-out, leaving us with a feeling of, “how the hell did I get myself into this mess?” and no real plan to climb out.
Here are ten easy ways to start incorporating emotional self-care into your daily life, starting right now:
- Take a few deep breaths, especially before expressing your feelings
- Learn to say No and serve yourself first
- Protect your energy from others
- Create boundaries that feel good to set and encourage others to do the same
- Stop over-explaining yourself to others
- Reserve the word Sorry only for those moments when you’re truly sorry
- Call on others for help when you start to feel overwhelmed
- Accept compliments without argument or pushback, just a simple Thank You
- Experience your emotions without judgment, guilt, or embarrassment
- Give yourself the grace to try again when moments don’t go as planned, acceptance of yourself as you are is so important
A guided journal to support your
emotional self-care journey
Need more help getting started?
Below are some of my favorite books for helping to create emotional self-care. These are all books I’ve read and loved, and have helped me along my journey in some way. I hope they do the same for you.